Friday, July 23, 2010

What it's about

One of my goals in this course, from the start, has been to reinforce the course concepts we have covered in this class. As a student at SJSU a number of years ago, I found that I often did not apply course concepts to everyday life. Instead, the class covered theory, and from the basis of theory, the students engaged in research theory discussion. There was some application of course, but in my opinion, not nearly enough.

I understand that some of the concepts in this course are review for some students. However, is my hope that you will come out of the class remembering the concepts we covered, even years later.

Of course I remember the concepts I learned throughout my education, but the concepts I remember the most and still apply today are the concepts that I applied in some way. It is my hope that you all will come out of Comm 105 with new experiences that have applied to the course concepts.

Here is a reminder about what this class and assignments are all about:

1). The course objectives give you opportunity to see what other folks in the class are writing about and discussing.

2). Some of these assignments allows you to give your opinion about your colleagues writing.

3). The journal assignment give you real world experience applying concepts.

4). Each of these assignments are intellectually challenging.

5). The assignments increases diversity in the class on multiple levels.

6). Each assignment provides meaningful feedback, not only from the instructor, but from others in the class, thus diversifying understanding!

7). The assignments establish an atmosphere of community and enhanced learning.

8). Reinforces relevant course material from a number of different perspectives.

9). Helps you analyze complex and abstract ideas as presented by others relating to course material/content.

10). Applies course content in a real-world setting.

I hope you all have a wonderful day today!

No comments:

Post a Comment