Friday, August 13, 2010

Last Post

Hello Folks,

This will be my last post.

As of this morning all grades have been entered into D2L. I have added a column in D2L that is a "Final Grade" column. This reflects all of the points you have earned in the class, and as you can see, the class is out of 1,000 points total, though the D2L system reflects 1,005 points (I have given each of you 5 extra credit points). On the syllabus, and at the end of this post, you will find a grade scale. Go ahead and compare your total points accrued to the grade scale to see what your final grade is in the course.

I will enter grades into mysjsu system this weekend, and as I have read on the SJSU website, grades should be available to you for viewing next week at some point.

I very much enjoyed reading the posts and comments for the final week of discussion. One common theme with the posts was about the 12 hour time limit between posts. I usually address this issue early on in the semester so students understand the rationale behind the 12 hour requirement. Here is the explanation:

Let's face it, college students really like to wait until the last minute to get things done, right? As a college student (which wasn't all that long ago), I used to wait until the bitter end to complete assignments. Since the class requires posts and comments in order to simulate face to face conversation, there must be a gap in the time students can post in order to avoid students doing all of the work at the same time and not really processing ideas, theories and topics of discussion. In addition, the 12 hour gap requires students to get at least 1 post in before the end of the week. If no one posted early (and trust me, it does happen), what would you comment on? This can be quite frustrating for students who want to get their work done early in the week. As an online instructor I have explored a number of different posting options, and have collaborated with other online instructors with much more experience than I, and 12 hours seems to be the consensus.

Having said that, I really enjoyed all of the feedback you have given me in during the final discussion week. If you have any questions after Sunday (when I will stop checking the class email address), please contact me at my sjsu.edu email address which I emailed to you last night.

Again, I have really enjoyed sharing the semester with each of you, and hope we will meet again either online or face to face at some point.

The Blogging Prof. signing off for the last time!

Have a wonderful evening, and a very enjoyable Fall semester!

:)
Carol


Grade scale:
A 950-1000
A- 900-949
B+ 870-899
B 840-869
B- 800-839
C+ 770-799
C 740-769
C- 700-739
D+ 670-699
D 640-669
D- 600-639
F 600 and below

No comments:

Post a Comment